Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New York Observations


After the time spent in New York I've come to appreciate New York more. I've come to appreciate these flat plains more.
Here we will be irritated at what we call "rush hour" traffic. Or that we can't park with 50 yards of the front door of a business. In NY space is the most sought after commodity and you think nothing of walking 12 blocks to get a bite to eat.

I feel sorry for those that never experience the vast open spaces and the instant ability to be the only person for as far as the eye can see in any direction. Yet the "viet-nam cafe" in China Town has the finest hot and sour soup I have ever tasted.

A 350 foot apartment on the island is considered satisfactory even at $1200 a month.
You certainly do not need a vehicle. In fact without significant income a vehicle would be a burden.

New Yorkers are different. I have found 99.9% of them to be incredibly helpful as I stumble and fumble with my metro pass, or as I look for the correct train to catch. Yet they have a somewhat weary existence. Everything seems to be a struggle. Everything is a "to-do"....or maybe they are so good at it that they merely are able to "switch on" and enter the stream of chaos?

Ground zero remains a very quiet and hallowed place. Now a significantly building site, it has the appearance of a major contstruction project, but there is a quiet calm within that huge expanse of open nothing.

I look forward to the next trip and I am happy to be exactly where I am.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Is that your photo? Nice!